- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
Calendar of Events
February 9, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
March 4-5, 2016
The budget retreat for staff will be held on March 4, 2016 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and March 5, 2016 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM at Hamlet City Hall... READ MORE→
March 8, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
April 12, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
May 10, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
June 14, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
News & Notices
February 5, 2016
Congratulations to Jones On Maine located at 38 Main Street, on being name the Hamlet Business Development Association's Business of the Month for Febuary ... READ MORE→
January 29, 2016
Registration for the 2016 Hamlet Parks and Recreation baseball season will begin on Monday, Febuary, 1 2016. Follow the link for the registration form and more information... READ MORE→
January 27, 2016
The City of Hamlet is seeking a consulting forester to prepare and administer timber sales for three City owned properties pursuant to the City of Hamlet's Forest Management Plan. A complete copy of the RFP and services needed are available at Hamlet City Hall, Administration, 201 Main Street, Hamlet, NC 28345. ... READ MORE→
January 21, 2016
The City of Hamlet has hired Calvin White to serve as the next Fire Chief. Mr. White is a veteran of the fire service. He started his career at age 19 with the Hamlet Fire Department ... READ MORE→
January 19, 2016
The City of Hamlet has finalized their 2016-2017 Fiscal Year Budget Calendar. The full calendar is ... READ MORE→