- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
Calendar of Events
September 1, 2016
The City of Hamlet invites community members and guests to the 25th year in remembrance service at the Cole Auditorium... READ MORE→
October 29, 2016
Registration for the 32nd Annual Seaboard Festival 5K is now open.... READ MORE→
September 13, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
October 11, 2016
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
News & Notices
August 25, 2016
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Parks & Recreation Director.... READ MORE→
August 16, 2016
Hamlet City Council will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, Hamlet City Hall, 201 Main Street. The purpose of the hearing is to solicit citizen comment concerning a rezoning petition filed Mary C. Kirkley for lots 5 & 10 of property located on Hamlet Avenue (Hwy 74 Business); more specifically, Tax Map 748112, Block 99, Lot 6436.... READ MORE→
August 9, 2016
The City of Hamlet is seeking sealed bids for playground equipment and installation services at W.D. James Park, located at the intersection of Oak Avenue and Highway 177 in Hamlet, NC 28345.... READ MORE→
July 13, 2016
Effective July 20, 2016, late fees on past due water accounts will increase from $20 to $25.... READ MORE→
July 13, 2016
Congratulations to Little's Automotive located at 400 West Main Street, on being name the Hamlet Business Development Association's Business of the Month for July... READ MORE→
June 24, 2016
The Hamlet Senior Center was recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Division of Aging and Adult Services of the State of North Carolina based on an on-site certification visit conducted Wednesday, June 22, 2016.... READ MORE→
June 9, 2016
The City of Hamlet has hired Mrs. Stephanie Thornsbury as the next Museum Manager and Downtown Coordinator. She will take over in managing the Hamlet Depot and Museum programs starting on June 13th, 2016.... READ MORE→
June 7, 2016
The Richmond County Tourism Development Authority is working on the next phase of the visitrichmondcounty.com website in anticipation of their new kiosk system that will be placed throughout our county... so, they need the help of everyone in the county to make sure that they have up to date information on all our attractions, hotels, shops and restaurants. This is vital to marketing our county! Please, if you know of any shop owners, restaurant owners or managers, attractions or events in our county, now or upcoming, please I urge you to contact myself, Kelly or Shannon @ 910-895-9057, 910-995-6422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 12, 2016
Congratulations to Second Time Around Consignment located on 52 Main Street, on being name the Hamlet Business Development Association's Business of the Month for May... READ MORE→