- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
Calendar of Events
March 3, 2017
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Friday, March 3, 2017 from 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM... READ MORE→
March 14, 2017
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 from 3:00 PM until 5:00 PM... READ MORE→
March 14, 2017
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
April 11, 2017
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
May 9, 2017
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
News & Notices
February 15, 2017
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting informal quotes on any model of a 2010 or newer wheel-loader ... READ MORE→
February 8, 2017
Registration for Baseball is now open. ... READ MORE→
January 26, 2017
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting applications for a full time Firefighter/Paramedic. ... READ MORE→
January 26, 2017
The Hamlet Senior Center's newsletter, "The Herald", is now online on the Center's page on this site.... READ MORE→
January 11, 2017
The Hamlet City Council is excited to announce that they have appointed Mr. Jonathan Blanton as the next City Manager. Mr. Blanton is a licensed North Carolina attorney and has a variety of experiences in the public sector. ... READ MORE→
October 28, 2016
Exciting News!!! Hamlet NC Happenings app is available on the Google Play Store on Android devices and the App Store on iOS! This new app will help keep you informed of what is happening right here in Hamlet. From events and activities to announcements, everything you need to know is available with just a tap of the screen! ... HERE→
October 28, 2016
Hamlet Fire Department is in need of volunteer firefighters with or without experience. Qualifications needed are a valid driver’s license, clean criminal background record and must be 18 years or older. Applications are online or can be picked up at the Hamlet Fire Department. Address for Hamlet Fire Department is 302 Champlain St. Hamlet NC 28345. Phone is (910) 582-2441. ... HERE→
October 3, 2016
September 29, 2016
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting applications for a police officer... READ MORE→
September 19, 2016
The City would like to remind residents that leaves, limbs, pine straw, etc., should not be placed in the street or on sidewalks. These items wash into the drains and cause blockages during rainstorms.
City ordinances state that all tree limbs and leaves need to be placed between the curb and the sidewalk or adjacent to the sidewalk off of the street. Leaves and limbs to be picked up may not exceed 50 pounds and must be within 6 feet in length.
Residents are also reminded that city garbage cans need to be retrieved on the same day as scheduled pick up.
Thank you for helping to make our city a better place to live.
September 13, 2016
The City of Hamlet had a wastewater spill on Monday, September 12, 2016, around 7:00 am from a pump station off of Highway 74 West.... READ MORE→
July 13, 2016
Effective July 20, 2016, late fees on past due water accounts will increase from $20 to $25.... READ MORE→