- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
February 18 - March 25, 2019
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an educational program designed to help family caregivers take care of themselves while caring for a relative or friend. Class size is limited, and registration is required, please register by February 4, 2019... READ MORE→
March 1 - April 12, 2019
Starting March 1, 2019 join a 6 Week walking program that will motivate you to live a healthier lifestyle. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM located at the Hamlet Senior Center... READ MORE→
April 9, 2019
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
April 29 - May 13, 2019
The 2019 Senior Games and Silver Arts of Richmond County will be held from April 29 - May 13, 2019. A full schedule of events is availabe by clicking the "Read More" link. Please contact Hamlet Senior Center with any questions or concerns ... READ MORE→
May 14, 2019
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
News & Notices
March 13, 2019
Hamlet City Council, serving as The Hamlet Board of Adjustment, will hold a public hearing on April 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at Hamlet City Hall. The purpose of the hearing is to solicit citizen comment concerning a Special Use Application filed by Mr. C. H. Lee... READ MORE→
March 13, 2019
Minutes for the February 12, 2019 Regular Monthly meeting, February 12, 2019 Budget Review meeting, and February 26, 2019 Special meetings are now available to view online... READ MORE→
March 12, 2019
Pursuant to G.S. 160A-270 and the City of Hamlet Resolutions 2018- 03 and 2019 - 01, the City is hereby authorized and directed to hold a public sale of items of surplus City property... READ MORE→
February 27, 2019
Bids are being requested for the clearance of 1 burned structure located at 405 Cheraw Rd, Parcel ID 748103433326. The Hamlet Fire Department conducted a train burning on February 23, 2019. The existing storage building, vehicle and playground equipment are to remain on the property... READ MORE→
February 20, 2019
The City of Hamlet is currently seeking a Police Chief. Requirements include a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or public administration supplemented by basic and advanced courses in police science and administration; and extensive experience of a professionally responsible nature in police management... READ MORE→
April 2, 2018
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting applications for a full time Firefighter/Paramedic. Graduation from a recognized high school or equivalent... READ MORE→